Wednesday, March 3, 2010


Trail day 4


Tuesday, July 21st, 2009

Miner’s Park-Clarks Fork via Tooth of Time Ridge

GPS stats: Mileage: about 15 mi

Elevation:

Speed: 3.1 mi/hour<-- Amazing speed!

Today was a great day! We got up at 4, tore down camp pretty fast and nicely. We were at Shaffer’s Pass by 8 and on top of the Tooth by 10. We had a 15 mile day! And we were in camp before 2. This is incredible time.

The view from the Tooth was just as I remembered it to be. We’re camping at Clark’s Fork tonight and we had a chuckwagon dinner. The chuckwagon dinner was beef stew and biscuits and peach cobbler for dessert. It was the closest thing to real food since we hit the trail.

I finally saw a mini bear! I was beginning to think they were extinct.

I’m ready for bed. 15 miles in 9 hours is so exhausting.

I broke my sporkniff in half tonight, I went to put it in my squishy bowl and it broke. Dad duct taped it back together for me. I’ll but a new one tomorrow.

We’re headed to Harlan tomorrow and pick up food at Ute Gultch Commissary. We are planning to stop by Window and Cathedral rocks. I think it’s going to be a good day tomorrow.

They sang Wagon Wheel at the campfire tonight. It was a great staff camp. I have to write some post cards tomorrow.



Thorn: feeling a bit dehydrated going over the Tooth and having sucky chlorine water mixed with Gatorade.

Rose: Seeing the views from the Tooth of Time and seeing a mini bear!

Bud: Window Rock and seeing parts of Philmont that I haven’t seen yet. (I’ve seen everywhere until this point)

The Tooth of Time from Base Camp. The Tooth was the icon of the west when it was being settled. It symbolized that people were getting close to Santa Fe, Arizona.































































Julie is holding a white bull. The white bull was given to female participants until the 80s when it was discontinued. Females that completed their trek were to wear the tail of the bull over their shoulder on a jacket or vest.

No comments:

Post a Comment